25 January 2011

The Wizard of OS

First of all, Happy New Year Folks!!

I wanted to excuse myself for being absent for such a long time, but I've been pretty swamped lately. I will be until the fourth of February actually.
Coming back to the topic of this blog, technology and social media in general, I have to say that I've been experimenting on Ubuntu during these last days. Let me say that I've never experienced such an OS before, it has every feature you could look for, it gives you full compatibility with the two major OS around (you know them, come on...), and it is completely open source as the majority of you may already know.

Above: Ubuntu's desktop GUI

I was discussing yesterday with a friend of mine, he pointed out that it is impossible for a free OS to be better than what the industry offers to customers. I can perfectly see his point of view, but it is a common mistake (at least in informatics and technology in general) to think that what you pay for has more value that what you don't pay for. It's not like that, nowadays the best technology is the one you can build and share. Profit making corporations can't understand this logic, GNU philosophy is a far horizon to them and they're looking at it like nomads lost in a desperate desert of ideas.
Accept that the new technologies of today and tomorrow are and will be built by a community of users, that the only way to improve knowledge is by sharing. Today it's possible to share real time thoughts and the bright minds of our world are not going to let this opportunity fade away.
To everyone among you my readers (no matter how small the number may be) who are not aware of what Ubuntu is, I strongly advice to take a look what this community is doing.
Be brave. Be part of the conversation. I'm sure you all got something to say. Share it.

3 comments:

manuel said...

Fico...voglio provarlo anche io sto ubuntu....

Gabriele Scanziani said...

dovresti ;-)

Unknown said...

"Ubuntu is, and always will be, absolutely free"

questa è in assoluto la cosa che mi ha sconvolto di più!!!!